Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Can't think of a good title

Sorry no quotes today (forgot them back at the house) but instead just a small story of what happened on the way here. As i was walking up to the internet cafe(alone) people said white person as usuall and i'm used to it now. But this one person really got me down. Some otehr families had said Obruni and when i turned to smile and say hello they didn't really respond and i heard a couple mutters about white people from them when i turned around. That didn't bother me, a couple kids shouted "Brafuno, how are you" that made me smile. No, it was just this on guy on a bike who passed by that got me down with 3 simple words. "Hey, White Man." Said simply as its written. No tone, no up or down pitch in his voice to tell what he meant. Just a drool meaningless statment with empty eyes staring at me. I got no real response from my hello how are you but a grunt or shrug or something. Those simple words brought me down. But not for long along the way i Eric saw me and called me over, I jumped over hugh hole(it runs down the street collecting garbage that peopel through in)talked for 1 min and slapped hands and I finally did it right. When they shap hands at the end they snap their fingers. Not after their hands have left each other on their own. At the end of the clasp you snap of each others fingers. I'll try and show people when i get back. Anyways i was so happy to see someone i knew and crazy excited to finally be able to do the hand slap(people had been trying with us and we hadn't been that succesful). Then just before i arrived here a man came up to me, hand clapped me and i got it again. Then he started talking about soem hotel, chicken and rice, Pakistan, and finally ended with we be the same and something about chillin the same(i think he might have been a bit strung out). But again at the end we slapped hands and i got it. It's funny how something so small can bring you down or up.

Anyways i left off after breakfast. After riding the trotros for the first time. We went to Dead White Mans Clothes Market. It's an area just full of clothes, shoes and accesories. When you walk into the heart of it the light is kind of blocked out. All the little huts and stands are so close to each other that the tops block out most of the light. The experence was intense. They'res barley enough room for peopel to pass buy each other when walking. Everywhere you look they're is hughe piles of clothes, bundles of shoes, tons of belts lying on the ground. All kinds of brand names, any kind you can think of you can probably find at this market. All the prices are extremly cheap. The amount you've paied for one fo these designer/brand nambe shirts at home is probably the amount someone pays(or less, probably less not sure exactly) for a hugh bundle of clothes, that are shipped to Ghana. It was like a miny maze and as soon as you got out onto the street it wasn't over. There on the street were hundreds of people selling things indavidualy, holding shirts,belts,watches, all kind of clothing orriented things. Everybody is trying to get your attention (espcially if your white, you must have money and be eager to spend). Either that day or the next (can't rember) we went to a place called Kaneshi(Kenshi sorry one world not sure of the spelling) Market. Think of Costco but taller. There was 3 levels. The ground floor was dirt and full of tables selling all sorts of food, cooked, raw everything. Hughe mounds taller than a person in all directions you looked, I can't even begin to explain it. I think i need to go again to really see what's there. It was so amazing. The 2 and 3 floor I'm not sure exactly what was on each one. There was clothes, electronics, electronice fixing, watches, medical supplies, I think a docters office. I know i'm forgetting tons but it was so unbalivably emmense. It was so amazing and the view at the top of the city. Oh My God(we'll i don't really have a religion so it's more like oh someone elses god) it was breathtakingly beautiful. After that we went to a part of town that is an automotive section. That means there were motors on the streets, I saw seats hung from walls, parts hung from trees. I don't know much about cars but just imagine any internatle part of the car that can be bought and it was out in the open or in a shop all in this one part of town.

I have to go know i've only got 10 mins left. The best part about this whole experence is this. Not once since we've landed have we really felt nervous or scarred or not wanted to do something because it was unknow. We've walked all over the place and had somemany new experencies in such a little. Every single time it's always been meet with excitment(whether outwarldy or inwardly) and no fear. Its awsome. Something that I will say is strange is I'm havin not much of a problem with the sun/heat. Normally i get hot in the summer in canada in shorts. But here in Ghana I'm wearing pants and long sleved shirts and fine. I seem to be able to handle this with no extra heat. I dont' know what it is either way it's awesome. I have to go but i'll be updating in 1 or 2 days for the last time for about 1 month. We'll be heading for our villages soon and I won't have or go to get internet access for that time. PEACE

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey mark, Tyson here great writings, shoot me an email if you ever see this letueur@live.com

Unknown said...

Hey mark, Tyson here great writings, shoot me an email if you ever see this letueur@live.com